Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Day

It's hard to believe that it's been 5 1/2 years since I held this baby boy, small and helpless in my arms. I look at William who looks so much like Andrew did as a baby and wonder how we got here.

Andrew has been ready and waiting for this day for years. He learned to recognize all his letters by 2 1/2 and knew his numbers 1-10 before Isaac was born. He was ready, and today was finally the day.

I asked him how it went. "It was good." I had to probe a little more. "We read 3 stories." and finally his dissapointment, "I didn't get to play in the room yet or on the playground." We agreed to get there earlier tomorrow (we were almost late) so he could have time to play on the playground.

Today marks the beginning of a new phase for him and for me. I am now a mom of a school age kid. From now on I will be dealing with homework, projects, school bells, homework, teachers, PTA, and homework. And so will he. He will also be dealing with the new social experiences. I worry about that part. What will he learn from those other kids? Will he bring home garbage words to teach Isaac? Will he learn too early about things 5 year-olds have no business knowing about? I know it happens. I guess I will have to take the bad with the good.

I'm excited for him to learn. To learn to love learning. I hope that happens. I hope he learns to make new friends and learns what a best friend is. I hope he learns to try things even though they are hard. I hope he learns of the joy from accomplishing something even though it was difficult. Here's to hope, here's to our First Day.

4 comments:

DeAnn said...

Great insight Mom. Way to go Andrew. He'll love school and do very well! LOVE MOM/Grandma

Marie Bindrup said...

Yeah to Andrew! I know how you feel. I am totally split, I am excited for Dean to start school, and am sad because that means he is growing up. I guess I should break down and buy him his school uniforms. Yuck! Talk to you soon!

Brooke said...

Oh, Sarah, I'm facing that first day myself in a few weeks and it is definitely a bittersweet experience! I'm thrilled that she's entering school and all the fun and learning that come with it, yet can't believe it's actually here! I may shed a few tears that first day.

Richard B said...

I enjoyed reading about your insight regarding Andrew's first day at school. I agree with your mom, DeAnn.
It's fun to read your blog and the experiences you are having and the opportunities to develop your own little family with the support and love of your sisters, brothers and parents. Dick Parsons, from Puyallup days.

 
The Joy of Being a Mom and of Being Me - Free Blogger Templates