Thursday, June 16, 2011

Is this considered nesting?

I have been busy lately making a mental list of projects for me to do which will keep me busy for the rest of the summer. I've lately run across a bunch of great ideas for sewing boys clothes. I would like make some of these racer shorts from www.dana-made-it.com for the older boys.
For Will I would like to try to make some of these cute t-shirts call the 90-minute shirt. The tutorial is also from dana-made-it.com and the boy in the picture is her son. So cute!


Next I have projects for the new baby. I have been noticing a lot of women in my ward using various slings to hold their baby while they are at church and I'm sure they use them at home and elsewhere. So I've been researching the different kinds of slings and how difficult it is to make them and I'm probably going to end up making 3 different kinds.

Now the term I guess people use is called "baby wearing" since instead of holding the baby you are wearing them, duh. Here is a link to a post about the different kinds of slings/carriers for baby wearing. Some are easier to use but don't offer a lot of support/comfort and others are comfortable and supportive but use a lot of fabric. A neighbor gave me her extra pocket sling so I already have one of those.
I am planning on making a ring sling and a wrap sling by buying a bunch of yards of fabric, cutting it lengthwise, do some hemming and voila. They are pretty easy to make.

At first I ignored the mei tai, but then I started looking at them more and found them to be a compromise between support and not too much stuff wrapped around you like the wrap. You can also easily put the older child on your back. The only downside for the mei tai is that it doesn't seem as supportive and comfy for the newborn/little baby. I found some good tutorials for the mei tai and I believe I could fairly easily sew one up.
I'll probably end up using the pocket sling for times when I am sitting a lot, like at church. Or for quick baby wearing. I would probably use the wrap and ring sling for longer periods of time especially for the baby when she is little. Then the mei tai will be used when the baby is a little older and for longer periods of time.

No comments:

 
The Joy of Being a Mom and of Being Me - Free Blogger Templates